Digital marketing has taken all businesses by storm, everything is going online and email marketing strategy is vital to succeeding in the online game. Technology is changing fast and you need to change your strategy with it. In this email marketing guide, I will take help you set up your email strategy.
We will touch upon the following topics in this guide –
What is Email Marketing Strategy?
Email marketing is used to reach your customers or communicate with them. You can be offering a service or selling a product, it is very important to keep communicating with your existing and potential clients to create a brand image. Email marketing can also be defined as a medium to nurture a healthy relationship with your clients. Your email marketing strategy is just a fragment of your online marketing strategy.
According to Statista, people will be sending and receiving almost 376.4 billion emails by the year 2025. That’s a staggering number!! You wouldn’t want to miss the party!
I found an interesting article on email marketing statistics.
Email marketing helps in developing strong relationships with clients and ultimately driving them towards your product or services in a more efficient way. But it needs to be overtaken with proper strategy and planning otherwise, it can have adverse effects that can spoil your brand image.
Email Marketing is all about empowering your users, with the right information at the right time.
We have compiled all the steps you need to keep in mind while making your email strategy.
9 Steps To Awesome Email Marketing Strategy-
- Personalize Your Emails
- Create an Enticing Subject Line
- Create content to Engage & Educate
- Automate Your Emails
- Use segmentation for subscribers
- Sending mobile Friendly Emails
- Apply responsive email design
- Make a strong Email Deliverability Strategy
- Ask your Subscribers for referrals
Follow these steps to get the maximum out of your email marketing efforts –
1. Personalize Your Emails
People are bombarded with boring emails daily, so much so that they do not read most of them now. Each email that you send should be very well created and should grab the eyeballs. Your subscribers should look forward to your emails, you should give them some good information, make your emails quirky, etc. It also helps if you use trigger-based emails to deliver at the right time.
Read about when is the best time to send your marketing emails. Where you can learn how to automate emails to be sent at each individual best time according to his past email opening habits, also we have analysed data of millions of subscribers.
Personalizing your emails lead to better conversion, and it adds a sense of belongingness, let’s see through a couple of egs, what does a personalized email mean?
- Sending good wishes emails to your existing customers on occasions like their birthday or anniversary with a discount coupon. The email is focused on maintaining a personal relationship and making your brand presence. Personalize your emails using already pre-designed email templates for free.
- Let’s take one more example, suppose you have an e-commerce website or a hospitality chain you can always ask your customers to give suggestions regarding a product or how to improve your service, and offer them something in return, perhaps a small gift hampers or some discount on the product that they had viewed in the past or added in the cart.
2. Create an Enticing Subject Line
If you are a statistics person here is an interesting one for you, about 45% of emails are opened or read because of their subject line. Here is an article emphasizing the importance of subject lines.
Your subject line is the deciding factor whether the mail that you sent with love will fulfill its purpose or not. A recent study suggests emails that have the recipient’s name have a 26% more open rate.
Here are some examples of subject lines to help you write a classy one.
3. Create Content To Engage and Educate
In an email, you just have 3 seconds to convince your users to read the complete mail. Your mail should be limited, and focused and should add value to your prospects or customers. They should get the value of the time they are spending reading your mail.
The more you are able to capture their engagement the more they are likely to click on the link that you shared. With current hacking and online fraud, you need to keep in mind that the emails that you send are safe and secure. Read our article about the safest email providers on the earth – Not That Costly!
We all know higher CTR leads to Higher Profits!
Here are some suggestions to engage and educate your clients-
- You can have a joke or interesting fact related to your niche, which after some time your customers will look up for your emails.
- Make your emails graphics-rich. Include GIFs, images, etc to increase the UI, Plain text emails are a thing of the past.
- When they complete a small task like subscribing for your free trial, newsletter signup, etc, appreciate their gesture by giving them a discount coupon, etc.
4. Automate Your Emails
Using automation for your email marketing strategy is a smart thing to do. You can’t email every subscriber on your own with AI and dedicated automated solutions for your emails you can now design your emails, automate, and make a flow chart of your emails in the blink of an eye. Every business has an ultimate goal – sales. To achieve that, you need to send your users emails according to their responses. This is achieved through drip marketing.
Learn about How to leverage free autoresponders to send free emails with our guide
Examples of automated emails-
- Password reset emails, and account verification emails.
- Abandoned cart emails – You receive an email with a 10% discount if you have a product in your cart for more than 10 days.
- Welcome emails – Receive a welcome mail as soon as you sign up, read our guide on ” Best Welcome Email Templates For Your Business – 2021“
- Visiting a dedicated page – When a customer is visiting a particular product or page you need to send him some kind of deal like a price drop, a discount coupon to trigger a response
Pro Tip – Use an Email Provider that does not have a lag time. Imagine your client making a payment and not receiving a confirmation mail ! It will scorn your brand image and dilute the trust in the brand. And not to forget the franatic users at that time! God Bless You!
I just have the right solution for you guys without spending a penny, you can check out the list of free email services
5. Use Segmentation For Subscribers
Using segmentation strategy for your email marketing strategy campaign, you can target your prospects through dedicated campaigns, according to their previous searches, behavior, and interests. For eg:- If you’re hosting a social event in a radius of 20 km, then you can target the particular audience in that radius related to social workers, and volunteers, can set up an age range and preferences.
By segmenting your email list, you will get better open rates, revenues, more real leads, transactions and resulting in more valuable customers. According to the latest study by MailChimp segmented campaigns get 14.37% more opens and 64.78% more clicks than non-segmented campaigns
Here is a detailed article on the segmentation of emails.
I have compiled a list of email segmentation, through which you can target your customers-
- Demographic Segmentation
Demographic segmentation is based on demographic attributes like gender, age, religion, educational qualification, income, etc.
Pro Tip – The more information you collect, the more options you will have for demographic segmentations. You can Follow 2-3 step sign up process, as asking too much information can scare away your customers. Which will lead to overall lower sign-ups
- Behavioral Segmentation
Marketers are using behavioral segmentation more than ever. It is based on customers’ or users’ behavior like previously opened mail, clicks, conversation, previous purchase history, and also their inactivity. Some of the examples are as follows –
- If a customer is visiting a particular page for the past 10 days but hasn’t made a purchase yet, you can segment him as a potential customer and nudge him with some lucrative offers to instill that reaction in them.
- Wishlists are a good way to target your customers.
- If someone opens a good amount of emails that you sent, say about some features of an upgraded plan they are highly likely to upgrade to a better plan.
- Geographic Segmentation
Through this type, you can segment your customer through their geolocation. There are a lot of different ways to use geographic location data, making segmentation by geographic area a valuable tool – especially for businesses where location greatly influences purchasing decisions. Marketers generally do geographic segmentation on the basis of –
- Send Emails on Specific Time – With globalization, you need to send your emails at different times according to your consumers’ time zones.
- Emails for Webinar – Try adjusting your timing as per your target location.
- Own a Store – Personalise directions to the store or event based on the reader’s geolocation.
- Location-specific content. Use a location in your headlines or content to draw attention and offer a personalized experience.
6. Sending Mobile-Friendly Emails
It has been seen that 60-65% of your emails are being opened on mobile devices. And we all know that with time this number is gonna increase. I found an email on mobile-friendly emails, that will surely help create a good email-friendly email.
The emails that you send, them out for mobile devices. How is the font looking, how are the graphics, is your mail responsive etc? The mobile-friendly emails see a greater open rate and conversions. Send free email-friendly emails using FREE SMTP Servers.
7. Apply responsive email design
Creating a responsive email design means that the recipient of your email can open it on any device regardless be it a tablet, mobile, or desktop. Most email service providers provide this solution.
Make sure that the subject line and the preheader is short and attractive: Writing specific and short subject lines can help the subscribers to relate and connect. Also, the pre-header text helps to summarise the content.
8. Make a Strong Email Deliverability Strategy
Another important factor that runs into an email marketing strategy is that your mail should be received in the primary inbox tab. Around half of the world, uses Gmail as its primary email, so chances are high that most of your email subscribers use Gmail.
So here are some ways to get your emails directly to your recipient’s inbox-
Verify Your Email Address: Check the email address before sending it to ensure that it is valid because most of the time you send an email and then wait for a response.
However, you are unaware that the email you sent to that address is invalid, which indicates that it does not exist on the recipient’s mail server. So, before you send any email, double-check it. You can validate your emails using a service like snov.io.
Ask your subscribers to whitelist your mail: If we go according to market trends, welcome emails have an open rate of 90%. Here is an article on the whole process which you can convey to your subscribers.
Make your email more engaging: More your emails are engaging, the more the chances that they got to the primary tab. Use images when needed, do not use them unnecessarily. You can use GIFs, Jokes & Interesting facts to increase engagement in your email marketing strategy.
9. Ask Your Subscribers For Referrals
In today’s time, word of mouth plays a major role in brand building and promotions. It helps the brand to develop trust and personal connection. You can ask your customers to fill out a survey, provide a referral, and review your product. In return for some kind of hampers, monetary discount on your product, cash discount, gift card rewards, etc.
Email Marketing is the best way to promote your products and services, but it still is the best-known strategy to reach your consumers on a budget. Keep revising your email marketing strategy from time to time and it will reward you with great results. By implementing changes to your email marketing campaigns, customers will become more responsive, and aware and continue to help in your business growth story.
What is an email marketing strategy?
Email Marketing is a branch of online marketing, In which marketers use email as a medium to communicate with prospects or existing customers. Email can be to educate your consumers about a new product, discount coupon, nudge a customer to trigger an action, etc. email marketing is the use of emails to promote brands, products, and services. But it is best described as a medium to develop a relationship with efficient customers and clients. Email marketing strategy is one of the branches of an online marketing strategy.
How do you develop an email marketing strategy?
The best way to develop an email marketing strategy is through drip marketing. You slowly and steadily first interact with your consumers and then develop trust. Then enlighten them with the relevant information at the time when they need it. Eg – When they subscribe for a free trial you can easily feed them with the info about your paid plan and how it will help them improve their sales or their lives.
What is email marketing and how does it work?
Email Marketing is a subpart of a broader overall online strategy. It works with emails exclusively to increase your brand presence, educate your customers, upsell your product, etc. If done properly you will surely see a surge in revenue. Learn more on SMTPservers.co
Is email marketing still effective?
According to a study conducted recently, we will be sending and receiving 347 Billion emails every year by 2020. Email marketing gives a return of $39 for every $1 you spend. email marketing is very effective at present and will most probably remain a very lucrative option for marketers at least for the next 5 years.
How to use an email marketing strategy to increase your sales?
Email Marketing Strategy helps you increase your brand presence and nurture your leads by continuously making contact with them. When you send informative emails and the recipient get’s value he/she tends to look forward to your emails and you get imprinted in the minds of your prospects so when the consumer has a need to buy something that you fulfil, your brand will have an upper hand over those of your customers and you can make an easy sell.